My Marriage Story: Getting Married After 1 Date Edition

Updated: May 17, 2019

Have you ever had a guy write you on Facebook or Instagram and say something to the effect of "I'm not flirting, you just look like you could use the conversation"?

Well, I married that guy.

Not only did I marry that guy, but I married him the day after our first date, which was at a Red Lobster (In case you were wondering).

Was I absolutely insane? Yes.

Would I suggest you try it? Absolutely not. I got lucky he wasn't a mass murderer or something.

But without further ado, here is our story, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth.

In June of 2012, I was 19, and my family and I had just made the 10 hour move from Little Rock, Arkansas to Kentucky where we would be living for an indefinite amount of time due to my father's new job. I had spent all of my high school years (Yes, I was homeschooled, but I still had a social life!) in Arkansas, and it felt like home to me. Needless to say, I didn't want to move BUT it was what was best for my family and at the time, I hadn't been in a good place mentally in awhile, so I needed to get the heck out of dodge (or Arkansas in my case) and into a new setting, I just didn't know it back then. You know, the whole stubborn teenager spiel.

In August of that same year is when Thomas (who would become my husband) decided to write me on Facebook. His first message to me was (and I bet you guessed this already!) "I'm not trying to flirt, you just looked like you could use the conversation."

26 year old me is embarrassed by the fact that I:

1. Fell for that horribly cheesy pick up line.

2. Kept messaging a guy that used this horribly cheesy pick up line.

But for some odd reason, I kept messaging him, every day, all day.

He was stationed at the time in Fort Hood, TX and had been in the Army for quite some time, but was originally from Arkansas, around where I had just moved from a few months prior.

Christmas of 2012, I/We decided that I was going to fly down to Arkansas and spend Christmas with his family. I don't remember being nervous (even though I probably should've been), but we had skyped so much, that I feel like I already knew him inside and out.

Fortunately his family was very nice and welcoming, and at least to me, I felt like I fit right in. He was exactly how I'd imagined him to be in my head, very sweet, very sincere.

We spent the next few days meeting meeting everyone in his HUGE family, (Seriously, I come from a family of 8. His went on to infinity-and-beyond!) climbing Petit Jean Mountain, and just spending time together. It was one of the happiest weeks of my life. We even got a HUGE snowfall while I was there, and had to stay an extra couple of days before he drove me back home to Kentucky (I was SO dissapointed;)

Second Day Together, On Top of Petit Jean Mountain

A couple days before New Years Eve, we finally made it back to Kentucky. We had become attached at the hip rather quickly, and I can now see (6 years later) why this may have worried my parents. It even worried them more when I announced that he had asked me to marry him and given me a ring. Believe me, I know how crazy this all sounds now. But it happened, and in my brain "that was that, and I didn't care what anyone had to say". It was one of the few times in my life when I felt truly determined to do something huge, and unfortunately it disappointed a lot of people. Back then I wanted what most young people wanted at my age (I was 20 at the time). To find "true love" and get married...and I got impatient.

On New Years Eve 2012, Thomas and I decided not to wait anymore. It was the day before he had to go back to Fort Hood and he would have to leave me in Kentucky.

So, in my parents living room, with just my Mom, Dad, Brother, Licorice the Poodle, a very strange "preacher" (I had found his business card in the DMV office) and of course Thomas and I, we got married.

I'm not going to lie to you and say it was the happiest day of my life. It was actually one of the most painful. No one was happy with my decision (I understand why), and I kind of felt...alone in a way, and even more so because Thomas had to go back to Texas the next day. Of course, I'd join him 2 weeks later where he'd have an apartment waiting for us to move in. I just remember the day he left laying on a couch that I'd bought for us, in a fetal position crying for hours. I had just built up so many emotions, and I let them all out then and there.

Our "Wedding" Day 12-31-2012

A couple weeks went by, and I quit my job, packed all I could of my clothes (I'd come back with a Uhaul for the rest of my belongings later), and got on an Airplane where Thomas was waiting for me in Austin, TX.

And the rest, history. <3

#storytime #marriagestory #nofilter

94 views0 comments

Recent Posts

See All

Welcome to The World Traveling Mom

My family is always full of adventure and life, and I would love to bring you on our journeys and tell you the good, bad, and awesome truths behind our travels. 

My name is Carla, and I am the creator behind "The World Traveling Mom" Blog, as well as the Instagram @TheWorldTravelingMom and @CarlaTheDisneyNerd. My family (husband Thomas, daughter Hailee, and our 3 year old rescue pup, Loki) and I have traveled around the world, and we never stop trying to find the adventure, that is life. 

I have lived in 3 countries (USA, Germany, and China) and have also visited Mexico, Canada and 27 out of 50 states. I love going into the heart of each city I visit and finding out what makes that city incredible! 



Your details were sent successfully!